Exclusively for pay monthly members Only
Who fancies joining us on an incredible ‘in the bowels’ tour of Bristol’s most beloved and iconic bridge?
For almost 150 years this Grade I listed structure has attracted visitors from all over the world. Its story began in 1754 with the dream of a Bristol wine merchant who left a legacy to build a bridge over the gorge. 24-year-old Isambard Kingdom was eventually declared the winner and appointed project engineer his first major commission
Many of us have walked or driven across but have you gone below?
The Clifton Suspension Bridge Hard Hat Tour is a one-hour experience which begins at the Visitor Centre on the Somerset side of the bridge. Upon arrival you will don a hard hat and high vis jacket and learn about the construction and discovery of the huge red brick abutments which support the bridge towers. You will then descend a ladder to explore two of the twelve vaulted chambers inside the Leigh Woods abutment.
Here's some practical information about the tour:
- You will need to wear sturdy shoes with good grip such as hiking boots or trainers. You will not be allowed to join the tour in heels or open-toed shoes.
- This tour includes climbing a vertical ladder and passing through a low corridor. Please ensure that you are comfortable with doing this and not afraid of heights or claustrophobic.
- Any camera, phone, or device you bring must be able to fit in your pocket or bag so that you have two hands free to climb the ladder.
- Only small rucksack type bags worn over both shoulders or bags with cross-body straps will be permitted inside the vaults. Large bags, handbags, umbrellas and so on can be stored securely at the Visitor Centre during your tour.
- The vaults can be wet and/or muddy inside, particularly after heavy rain. Please wear suitable clothing and ensure that cameras or mobile phones are protected from the calcite saturated water which may fall from the ceiling.
We anticipate this being very popular and with a limited number of spaces you’ll need to be quick !
We automatically issue refunds as credit to your Bristol Nordic Walking account. If you would like a refund to your bank account or card please let us know. Refunds to bank account/credit/debit cards are subject to a 1.4% +20p fee for European cards and a 2.9% + 20p fee for non-European cards