Things are moving apace with information and advice concerning Covid 19 Coronavirus and we want to reassure you that we are keeping abreast of these developments and updating our club approach accordingly.
One thing is certain: never has it felt more important to look after our health - and one of the cornerstones of this is fitness.
Continue to enjoy Nordic walking
The government believes there are two main routes by which COVID-19 can be transmitted:
- Through being in close contact with someone who has the virus.
- Through touching a surface that someone with the virus has contaminated.
With Nordic walking you’re out in the fresh air, there’s no need to get up close and personal with anyone or breath in anyone else’s air. If you have your own poles you are not even sharing any equipment with others.
In fact, boosting your health and immunity by keeping fit is probably more important now than ever and what better venue than the great outdoors.
Please be considerate of others
During these unsettling times we all need to be extra considerate of others. We respectfully ask that you do not come to your class if you are feeling below par, have a cough or flu-type symptoms.
Plus, instead of hugs, why not create a Nordic walking style greeting – anyone tried pole bumps?..
If you borrow poles from us
It is possible that if you borrow poles from us you could become infected:
- if someone before you with the virus contaminated the pole handle you are now touching; and
- you then go on to touch your own mouth, nose, or eyes.
We are doing what we can to minimise this risk by washing straps and handles but it’s not always practicable for us to do this between each walk. So if you borrow poles from us:
- If you need to cough or sneeze whilst out on a walk please use a tissue (once only) or cough into your sleeve so that droplets aren’t transferred to the Nordic walking strap/handle.
- Try not to touch your face whilst out Nordic walking.
- After your class is over wash your hands thoroughly or use hand sanitiser.
Membership suspension policy extended
For the time being we are extending our membership suspension policy so that any member over 70 who has to self-isolate for an extended period due to coronavirus may do so. Please contact Ros for more information.
Please check your phone/email for class messages
At present we are continuing to run all our regular and scenic walks except for our Parkinson's walks. However it may be that have to cancel a class at short notice if an instructor needs to self-isolate. In this instance we will telephone and email you to let you know. Please check your phones and emails for any messages before you leave for your class.
You can follow updates on coronavirus on Public Health England’s website. Further information from the NHS can also be found online at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/.
Looking forward to seeing you in our fabulous parks and open spaces.
The BNW Team